Thursday, September 07, 2017

Creating hair-y situations in Tulsa

By Megan Lee

Once every four months I feel the urge to change my hair color, and every time I look for a new salon.  This week, Tulsa Hair Co on Riverside had its chance.

The sleek interior of Tulsa Hair Co
Nothing on the outside of it truly distinguished it from a generic hair salon outside of the word Tulsa.  Inside there was a mix of sleek modern decor, children’s video games, and canvases of Tulsa landmarks to make it unique.  The fashionable stylists were also dressed completely in black to round out the atmosphere with a professional vibe.   

Before the session could begin, we had a five-minute consultation. My stylist was hesitant because the color combination of bright red and denim blue was uncommon.  To help, she pulled out a two-inch-thick book of hair samples and dyes to choose from.

Selfie from the chair
As the session proceeded, and the bleach stung my eyes, I heard the hairstylists casually chat about their plans that week.  There were schedule changes to pick up birthday supplies for a coworker’s 20th birthday that week, gossip about if a certain coworker was ever going to apologize for some unknown scandal, and casual insider jokes that confused the consumer but made the stylist giggle.

The four-hour session finally ended on a discussion of hurricanes and my new “mermaid” hair. As one stylist put it, “her hair looks exactly like Ariel! See? It’s the red of her hair and the dark color of her fins in the water.” My hairstylist, pleased with her work and photography of the hair, handed me her business card with the instructions to take care of my hair or else we will have to dye it again next week.

When you dye your hair, it’s never cheap, and this place was no exception; however, the customer service and light-hearted conversations made it worth the price and drive. 

No comments: