Sunday, September 24, 2017

Behind the Scenes with Derek Jewell


By Skylar Fuser

I have attended the South Broken Arrow Life Church campus for over two years, but I have never had a one-on-one conversation with my pastor until today. I have even taught his 5-year-old son, Jack, in Life Kids, and talked to his amazing wife, Jenn, on multiple occasions.

Finally, I got to ask my pastor, Derek Jewell, a few questions.

First, I wanted to know the biggest challenge he overcame in college. Like many wise people do, he answered my question with a question of his own. “Who am I going to be when my mom and dad aren’t around?” he said. College not only helps people to redefine who they are, but to become their own person apart from their parents.

Another important question Jewell thought about was, “Am I going to blend in with the crowd?” College provides people with the space they need to grow into either who they want to be or who the world wants them to be.

After getting to know more about my pastor, I feel more connected to my church and those who are in it.

No comments: