Friday, September 08, 2006



TULSA'S BLACK WALL STREET: 85 YEARS LATER

It is Sunday afternoon in this historic district, Black Wall Street, on Greenwood Avenue. Every store is closed and the street is peaceful and quiet.

I remember learning about this place a couple of years ago in one of my history classes. I was taught that it used to be a thriving place with hundreds of businesses, but that's not true now. I could see that plainly, since I can use my ten fingers to count the businesses in the district. I see a fish market, a print shop, barbershop, and few others.

However, that is not the point about this place. This place means much more than business. It is one of the places in Tulsa that represents a minority group. The race riot of 1921 took many lives, but it failed to take the spirit away. The place may not be as prosperous as it was in early 1900s, but just by being there, means a lot to many of us.

Although "Jim Crow" is gone, stereotypes, prejudice, and hatred are still around. There is a thin line that separates each of us, like Interstate 244, a freeway that separates the north and south side of Tulsa's neighborhoods.

As I am sitting in my car on this quiet afternoon, this place is telling me what we need is a peace, as peaceful as a Sunday afternoon, calm with silent resistance.

--Jintae Hwang

No comments: