Friday, September 15, 2006

A MIGHTY GOOD BURGER IN TULSA

Ever get sick of eating at the proverbial hamburger restaurant chain? If so, I may have just the cure.

Claud's Hamburgers, located at 38th and Peoria in Tulsa's Brookside neighborhood, offers a diner-style burger that is well worth giving up the drive-through lifestyle.

Claud's is a small establishment, with a small parking lot occupied by a few cars. The window says simply "Claud's Hamburgers" in green and white paint. The lettering looks like was done in freehand.

As I walk in, I am greeted with a smile and take a seat on the last stool at the end of the counter. The place is simple in every since of the word. A counter with about 12 old stools faces the open kitchen, which is all original stainless steel from its beginning in 1965.

It's quiet this afternoon at Claud's, making it easy enough to hear the relaxing hum of the air conditioning as I read the menu on the wall.

"We'll see you later. It was a mighty good burger," a man says as he meanders out of the door.

Another man in business attire slowly shuffles a newspaper behind me as he quietly sits and enjoys a burger and soda.

"What can I get for you?" a portly, middle-aged man behind the counter asks me. Without hesitation I order the Big Claud, a nine-ounce burger with three patties smashed together, topped with grilled onions on a large bun.

Glancing over to the end of the kitchen I see two of the late Claud Hobson's sons hovering over the grill, handling spatulas as if they were extensions of their arms. They silently flip the burgers as a tiny fan cools their foreheads from the sizzling grill.

After I finish my burger, I take a quick look at six other customers eating by themselves, most of who are regulars. I realize I am not the only content person around.

For 41 years, Claud's has been creating a cozy atmosphere, a friendly smile, and, best of all, a mighty good burger.

--Brian Fagan

Brian Fagan grew up in Kansas City. He is a communication major with a minor in marketing. He enjoys going to concerts, playing drums, camping, and being around good people.

No comments: