Wednesday, September 13, 2006

DANCING AT THE CLUB MAJESTIC

I am not someone who usually to ventures outside her comfort zone very often. So when my friends suggested I go to Club Majestic on Sunday for their drag queen show, I was a little nervous.

For anyone who does not know, Club Majestic is a club and bar for Tulsa's gay community, though heterosexuals are welcome also. Never having been to a gay club before before, I wasn't sure what to expect. As I observed the other club guests, it was easy to pick out the regulars from the people who did not go to the club often or had never been at all. Some people walked around like they owned the place, while others were nervously sitting back, observing everyone and trying to take it all in.

After the drag show started, people started to pile in. The show was actually much better than I had expected. I was impressed at how the performers were able to dance around so intensely in high heels while belting out those high tunes.

Mid-show, the lead drag queen told everyone who had never been to the club before to get on stage. She then proceeded to approach each one of us individually, asking a variety of questions about what had brought us to the club. There really were a variety of people there for different reasons. There was one man who was new to Tulsa and just trying to meet people, a guy taking out his brother for his birthday, and another girl who was kind of like me—just going out of curiosity and new experiences.

I left before the show was over, because the sweating people and the cigarette smoke-filled atmosphere got a little old. But I had a good time. And while I probably won'’t be going back to Club Majestic anytime soon, it was definitely an interesting experience.

--Hillary Lewis

No comments: