Wednesday, September 27, 2006


A NEW REPORT FROM THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE

Not many people know this, but Tulsa is the home to the Center of the Universe.

I know it must be hard to believe, but it's true. The Center of the Universe is across the street from the William’s building on 1st Street, in the center of the bridge next to the old train station. You will know you are in the right place when you see a tall metal statue. Walk a few feet, and you will see a circle—the Center of the Universe.

Once you stand in the Center of the Universe, yell out something, anything you want and experience the phenomenon.

What phenomenon I am referring to? Once you yell out something you can hear your echo many times over. It may not seem like anything spectacular, but think about when you yell in a cave. There is obviously a reason why your voice is echoing. Your voice is bouncing off the walls of the cave.

At the center of the universe, no walls close in around you. You are in the outside air with the sky above you, the bridge at your feet, train tracks below the bridge, and buildings many yards away from you.

While I was sitting on the edge of the bridge I watched as a young man and a young woman walked to the center of the universe. They talked and smiled at each other, then the man got down on one knee and yelled, “Marcy, will you marry me?”

I could see the tears starting to swell up in Marcy’s eyes as she yelled, “Yes!”

The echo of both of their voices became the background music of their loving embrace. I let the couple have a moment, before walking over to ask a few questions. The main thought going through my mind was why here? Why the center of the universe?

Scott told me that he brought Marcy here on their first date.

“I did not believe Scott whatsoever when he told me about the center of the universe. I thought it was his come on line to get me to a secluded place,” Marcy said.

After Scott showed Marcy he was indeed telling the truth, their relationship sky rocketed.

Maybe there is a scientific explanation as to why voices echo at this particular spot in Tulsa. Or maybe Tulsa really is the home to the Center of the Universe. Whichever it is, something magical happens every time someone steps into the center of the universe.

--Melissa Fulton

Melissa Fulton is a TU senior majoring in communication.

No comments: