Thursday, December 14, 2017

Tasty pasta with a family atmosphere


 By Brian McCurdy

front of restaurant
Dalesandro's was established in 1990 by Buzz Dalesandro. He had just lost his job, he put his savings together and borrowed $10,000 from a friend and opened a tiny Italian lunch spot downtown Tulsa at 6th and Main. About seven years ago his son Sonny took over the majority ownership and now runs the show at the current location 18th and Boston.

During my time spent with Sonny it was clear that the restaurant was not a business to him, it was his family. The bartender, the hostess, the chef and even the dishwasher were all in good spirits when Sonny was around. One reason for this is because Sonny does not sit in his office while everyone works for him. Sonny was on the floor greeting the regulars as they came in with his friendly smile. He was in the back helping prepare the plates and clean the dishes. He even showed off his bartending skills and made me a delicious cocktail while we chatted.

Sonny vs Saul
“Sonny is not just my boss, he truly is my friend first," said the bartender, Saul. Saul has worked with Sonny for over five years.  “Saul is one of the biggest reasons people come in for dinner,” Sonny told me.  Saul was quick to greet a couple that sat next to me at the bar and without even asking, he poured their regular drink and put in their order. The couple and Saul chatted as if they were all out to dinner together.

Angie, the head waitress, has also worked at Dalesandro's for over five years. She echoed the same thing as Saul. “Sonny is weirdly like a combination of my boss, my dad, my brother and my worst enemy,” she said. "He really does make work enjoyable for us all."


numerous awards over the years
Sonny takes pride in the family atmosphere his restaurant provides for the patrons.  “Quality and consistency are the staples my father taught me the most,” he said. Pair those two with hard work and good recipes and you have one of Tulsa’s best Italian restaurants.


Check out

No comments: