Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Following the Patterns

By Autumn Hall

my interview with Kelly Crowley

The storefront on 15th and Delaware
As I was driving aimlessly down Delaware Ave the other day, a small store sign caught my eye as I was turning onto 15th St.



It was a used bookstore, and I just could not pass up the opportunity to see what gems were hidden there. So, I turned around at the first opportunity and headed straight to the store.

However, to my disappointment, it was closed. But, right next door was an open shop. On a whim, I entered and was enchanted by the simplistic sight that greeted me.
The backroom where classes take place 

The fabric and sewing store, called Owl & Drum that is coupled with the phrase, Sew Very Modern on their business cards, was designed in a way that seems almost minimalistic with the products spaced out all over the store's floor.

Soon after I walked in, Kelly Crowley emerged from the back and greeted me. Crowley has worked at Owl & Drum for about a year and a half. She only works on Wednesdays as she admitted that the job "just supports my sewing habit."

Crowley has been sewing since childhood, but was only self-taught until she moved to Tulsa three years ago and found Owl & Drum. She commented, "I've kinda learned everything I know working here, and it's been really awesome!"

From her lessons at Owl & Drum, Crowley has started making her own clothes, quilts and bags (the shirt she was wearing during the interview was one she made).

A sample of modern quilting

While I was there, Crowley told me that she had recently taken up improv quilting-a new addition to modern quilting.

Curious as to what in the world that was, she explained it to me. Saying that it is a type of modern quilting that you just "piece pieces of fabric together and design around those," when you do not have a particular image you want to portray.

She commented that improv quilting "feels very much more creative," and that she really enjoys the freeform nature of it as she is "not really great at following the patterns."

Owl & Drum not only provides supplies for your next sewing/quilting/embroidering attempt, it also has sewing and quilting classes for all ages, including an after school program for children.

The store also sells unique, handmade items, such as toys, jewelry, handbags, greeting cards and more. And they also offer vintage pattern guides for those who wish to make their own clothing.

The pattern guides offered
 This small business has been running for the last couple of years, but in two weeks will be moving. The store is transitioning to be with the Retro Den on Harvard Ave, along with two other shops.

The spacious store with Crowley
sitting at the desk
Owl & Drum will become primarily an online only store that has shop pick-up. And they plan to continue to provide their sewing lessons.

They also have a blog on their website that offers tips on sewing and quilting.

For more information visit them at
https://owlanddrum.com/
or contact them at
918-742-1404
owlanddrum@gmail.com

No comments: