Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Limitless Expression

By Debra Scheuerman


Holiday Art Mart Gymnasium
I attended The Center for Individuals with Physical Challenges annual Holiday Art Mart and met many inspiring people. As I walked into The Center I was immediately greeted by a group of people, and as I continued down the hall not one person passed without saying hello and asking how I was. I walked into the gymnasium to see over 20 tables set up where members of The Center were selling the art work they had made. I spoke with Sally Ramirez, the abstract teaching artist.

Moving to Oklahoma from Los Angeles was a big transition for Ramirez. She worked with Teach for America before finding her position at The Center, where she has held the position for two years. In her classes Ramirez, does not censor her students. As their teacher, Ramirez lets them use art as an emotional outlet, exploring their personal lives and journey. She said her students “utilize art as a vehicle for expression”. 

Jones's display table
I walked around to talk to a few of Ramirez’s students and encountered Melita Jones. While I was looking at the ceramics she made she told me that she had been in Ramirez’s class for two years. She had no idea she was good at ceramics until she started attending class, and now she loves it. 


Snodgrass's display table
Next I spoke to Brent Snodgrass. He had an array of items for sale ranging from walking sticks to intricate ceramic dinner sets. As I was admiring his work he told me that he has been legally blind since the age of 25. He said that Ramirez and her art classes have given him a place to think outside the box. “I am catalyst for the art, I let it become what it wants,” he said. While showing me a “run” on his ceramic design he told me “in the outside world a run like this would be considered ugly. But [at The Center] I have the opportunity to make ugly things beautiful. And that is a gift.”

For more information visit their website or Facebook page.

No comments: