Monday, September 21, 2009

Sights, Sounds and Smells from Tulsa's Cherry Street Farmers' Market


By Jintae Hwang

Cool grey sky welcomed me that morning as I stepped out of my apartment. I headed to 15th and Peoria in midtown Tulsa, now known as Lincoln Plaza.

The full parking lot showed how popular the place was. After getting out of my car, I could smell the freshness and the excitement of welcoming people. I arrived at the Cherry Street Farmers’ Market.

The small parking lot was full of numbers of booths all around. Local farmers stood inside selling their products. The foggy day brought cool breeze for people to enjoy Saturday morning shopping.

Fresh vegetables were the main products—tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, and many more. The market had a lot to offer and the hoppers seemed happy. The atmosphere was kind of sophisticated, since the shoppers seemed to be educated or well-off people.

Disneyland has its Mickey Mouse dollar. Cherry Street Farmers’ Market has its own currency as well. They have tokens for people without cash. All you need to do is swipe your card with a dollar service fee.

The ‘trustworthy system’ still exists there. I brought some grapes without paying, but was told to pay on my next visit. That surprised me the most after all.

I headed back with full of shopping bags in my hands. Next week, I just have to remember to bring $7 to the grape booth.

Jintae Hwang is a senior at TU. A native of South Korea, he lived in California for four years before coming to Tulsa. After graduation, he plans a career in sports media in Korea.

No comments: