Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Weber's: Brookside's Burger and Root Beer Joint

By Gretchen Schroer

It’s a sunny late summer afternoon and I find myself strolling through Tulsa's quaint Brookside area. People cruise the sidewalks with friends in tow, all about their own business.

As I approach the end of the action I know I should turn back around, but my instinct tells me that I should carry on a little longer. And I am glad I did.

There on the corner sits an orange shack that looks beaten by the years. Curiosity strikes and I walk towards it, seeing a crowd of diverse ages and waistband sizes.

Not knowing what this orange building holds I mosey towards it, skeptical of what is in store for me. As I walk in I get an overwhelming aroma of homemade burgers and onion rings, I think I just walked into heaven.

The feeling slowly diminishes as I realize that this is not a restaurant, but a hall with six stools at bar on the wall, with a kitchen attached.

Though the size was miniscule, I didn’t let that ruin the experience. I walk to the order window and for a single burger with catsup only. Then they asked, "Would you like some fresh-brewed root beer with that.”
“Yes!” I exclaimed.

While sitting and waiting for my food I look at my surroundings. The walls are littered with signed one dollar bills, framed newspaper articles, original menus and a list of coupons available online.

Soon my name is called and I sink my teeth into a greasy burger and a smile comes over my face. Maybe old-fashioned shouldn’t stay a thing of the past.

Gretchen Schroer is a senior communication major from Overland Park, Kansas. After graduation, she is palling to embark on a year-long round the world trip.

No comments: