Thursday, October 19, 2006


A NEWBIE IN T-TOWN
A lot of people in Oklahoma have lived in the same town or city for years. This doesn't mean that here people don’t migrate or move, but many people do "stay where they were planted."

Darlene Conn spent most of her life in a small town in eastern Oklahoma. In August, Darlene moved to Tulsa to become the house mom for the Kappa Delta house. For Darlene, the move to Tulsa seemed like a good change in her life.

“I had just left my job at a hospital and I though ‘why not?’," she said.

Darlene is a well-loved person in the Kappa Delta house. Not only does she look out for the girls but, as the house cook, she also provides sustenance. She is a confidant for many of the girls and uses the kitchen as a social gathering place.

In her first few months as the house mom, Darlene doesn’t doubt her decision to move to T-town.

“I am way more proactive in the girl’s lives that I thought I would be. This has definitely been a great experience in my life,” Darlene said.

Darleen is very enthusiastic about Tulsa. “I’m from a small town, so this big-city feel is fantastic. There is so much to do and see and it seems like I learn something new about Tulsa and the state every day,” she said.

After cooking for the girls during the week and on the weekends, Darlene takes time to see the city. Recently she explored the Philbrook Museum. She also attended the state fair and got a look at the giant Tulsa Driller.

Besides being a house mom and cook, Darlene also considers herself part-time adventurer.

“There is no much to see and do in this town and I plan to do it all,” Darlene said. She also uses her time to bond with the members of the house. With ice cream trips and movie nights at AMC, she is taking advantage of the new activities with her many new friends.

--Brandi Andrews

1 comment:

Paul Tay said...

I bet she hasn't seen Santa rolling on the BA or rockin' out the drivers in front of Krispy Kreme. Welcome to Tulsa, Darlene. Just don't drink da WATER.