Friday, October 20, 2006

AN ART STUDENT'S LIFE

On a recent Tuesday, I stumbled upon an art student drawing in front of Philips Hall. Her artwork was impressive. I stood and gazed as she drew.

The student was Sarah Smith, a TU senior, and a graphic design major from Oklahoma City.

I asked Smith about herself. I learned that she grew up wanting to work in the arts. Even when she was young, she liked drawing and laying out her room just perfectly.

“I was always involved with art club and events that involved graphics in high school,” Smith said.

Having art as a hobby, she never thought that she could do it as a career. But as a TU freshman, Smith decided to make her hobby into a major and study graphic design.

Besides art classes, Smith is social chair of her sorority, where she gets to design and layout events on a regular basis.

“I am planning semi-formal right now, which is a very big undertaking,” Smith said. “I’m using my graphic design methods and making really awesome designs from T-shirts to even the layout of the dance room itself.”

--Emily Pickens

1 comment:

Paul Tay said...

Emily, you must be from the country. You used "wanting" in a sentence as a prepositional verb.