Monday, October 16, 2006


KAYCEE: MY POISON CANDY

Some of us went to South Boston Avenue in Tulsa on a recent Friday night for a party at the Rehab Lounge. But something caught my eye and I suddenly changed my plans.

Near the Rehab, I found this dimly lit wine bar. It was a low-key place, in contrast to the hopping dance club down the sidewalk.

I figured there might be a good story or someone interesting there. I lucked out. The first thing I noticed was the blonde sitting at the bar alone. I thought simply, “Perfect.”

This place really had walls that made you want to drink a red wine, especially in October.As I walked up to the bar the music was fluid and slow. I sat down near the blonde at the bar.

After a moment of silence, I offered to buy her a glass of wine from the display on the shelf. She ordered two glasses of White Haven Sauvignon Blanc, just like that.

We sat and talked a while. Her name was Kaycee and she worked at a pizza place called Pie Hole on 15th Street. She was a model and had a few acting gigs with the Nightingale Theatre every Friday and Saturday night.

I thought that was an interesting name for a theatre and a fitting name for my story. “This show that I’m in, it’s called 'Old Fashioned Poison Candy',” she said.

I took a drink of the wine and couldn’t help from wondering how in the world Kaycee and this odd title could be true. I drank the whole glass, sat it down on the bar, and asked her what it was about.

“It’s a performance art piece and I play a 13-year-old girl that is very much self indulgent, so indulgent that she manages to poison people,” she said.

Kaycee told me she had been artistic since she was young. I asked her what caught her interest with this particular show.

“It’s like a painting," she said. "People will see what they want to see, but it’s a dark painting I’ll give you that. And there’s a scene where I get to take some clothing off.”

After 5 five glasses between the two of us, she decided to call it a night. A friend had arrived to pick her up.

I asked her if she was interested in being covered in a profile story that I was assigned. She agreed and gave me her number.

When she left the bartender slipped me the bill. My jaw dropped—more than $70! Now I can tell you first-hand about my "Poison Candy."

--Troy Dixon

1 comment:

Paul Tay said...

Suckaaaaaaaaaa! Blondes ALWAYS have more fun and without paying.