Friday, September 19, 2008

New Coffee Bar Opens Across from TU

The Collective, a new student-oriented coffee bar, recently opened on 11th Street—Route 66—across from Chapman Stadium in Tulsa. (Photos by Kate Kramer)

The rich color of liquid caffeine at Tulsa's newest coffee spot.

The green t-shirt says it best: "I Speak Okie."

By Kate Kramer

As I entered the new cafe called The Collective, the scene of freshly baked pastries and breads awakened my appetite.

My eyes went first to the front counter, which was smothered in trays of baked goods that gave the place its tempting aroma.

Hanging behind the counter was a huge black chalkboard covered in drink titles. The names and ingredients were written haphazardly with colored chalk, revealing the cafe's playful spirit.

I noted the relaxed murmur of conversation that filled the room. The Collective's comfortable wooden booths and high-top tables were occupied by groups of busily chatting college students.

The carefree atmosphere of the cafe extended to the baristas, who were shooting the breeze behind the counter. They talked with me while I decided which drink to order.

When I asked for permission to take photographs of the place, the baristas were enthusiastic and encouraged me to snap a shot of them making a customer's drink.

"Our espresso is a beautiful golden brown color," said the second barista. "We're very proud of it."

Menu items all bear the names of various Tulsa landmarks. T-shirts hang from the ceiling, adding to the cafe's Tulsa spirit.

Even the bathrooms exhibit an original flair. The walls and stalls were slathered with inspirational quotes and drawings in bright shades.

As I sipped my latte, I overheard students gossiping and discussing upcoming parties and concerts. Their voices blended with the general hum of the coffeehouse.


Kate Kramer is a TU sophomore majoring in English with a certificate in journalism. She is from Elk River, Minn., and is the news editor of the campus weekly, The Collegian.

No comments: