Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Collective: TU Neighborhood's New Coffee House

Inside The Collective, the new coffee house on 11th Street across from TU.


The Collective:
It's Not Just
Another Coffee Shop

By Ty Page

A cozy environment, soft music, aromas of coffee and a diverse menu are all qualities of The Collective, a new coffee house on 11th Street across from the TU campus.

As I strolled through the main entrance, I was comforted by the atmosphere of the brick walls, leather-clad booths and chairs, and the sound of a Postal Service song playing in the background.

Although I rarely venture to coffee houses, I lucked out at The Collective on this Tuesday afternoon.

I decided to lay back in one of the booths and observe the people around me. One couple seemed to be discussing an accounting class problem on one side of the room, while a college-aged student was surfing the Internet on the other side.

The place struck me as a great retreat from my apartment, especially because it is so close by.

A young guy dressed casually in jeans and a maroon t-short approached me. He happened to be the co-owner, Rusty Rowe. I complimented his idea of hanging Tulsa t-shirts from the ceiling, one of which said "Don't Hate the 918," a reference to the Tulsa area code.

Rowe told me that there was a live DJ over the weekend and 200 customers came through the place. I also learned that The Collective has a fully loaded bar and serves drinks during special events, including TU football games, when they sell beer and snacks on the patio.

For me, The Collective was a real find, a place in the TU neighborhood that's both unique and convenient.


Ty Page is a TU senior from Dallas. He is majoring in communication and minoring in coaching. After graduation, he wants to work in advertising. 

No comments: