Wednesday, October 14, 2009

DaySpring Villa Helps Tulsa Women and Children

By Carolyn Siegerist

I was searching for a Tulsa news when I came across a website for DaySpring Villa, a shelter for abused and endangered women and children.

I called. A friendly voice answered, "DaySpring Villa, can I help you?"

I was transferred to a nurturing and motherly voice, a person who identified herself as Sheila. I asked for an interview. She penciled me in for early the next morning.

Sheila Mitchell is the director of DaySpring Villa. I asked her how long she had been working at the shelter.

"Oh well, you see, I've been here on and off since 1980," she said. "I just can't seem to stay away!"

She explained that her passion for helping abused and endangered women and children came from her religious beliefs as well as her sociology degree and studying at a seminary.

"You see, DaySpring Villa is different than other shelters because we are faith-based," Mitchell said. "We have bible studies, attend church services together, among other spiritual needs. We help the whole person, that's the physical, emotional and spiritual sides of them."

I asked about the most difficult and most rewarding aspects of her work.

"It's very difficult to see a woman go back to an abuser because he's says he will change and so often they don't,' she said. "Then, the children get put back in danger.

"But it is also an amazing feeling to see a woman successfully leave a bad situation for good and set up a new life for herself and her family. After six months, they can even come back to volunteer."

After almost 30 years, Mitchell is still passionate about helping women and children find happier and safer lives.

"The key to helping these women is to build their confidence and teach the children that you don't have to live in fear," she said. "The cycle stops with the children."

I thanked and told her what great work it is she's doing. She said, "Thank you, and have a blessed day."

The website for DaySpring Villa is linked here.

Carolyn Siegerist is a TU communication student from Stillwater, Okla.

No comments: