Thursday, December 11, 2008

Ice storm anniversary evokes memories

By: Ashlee Lubniewski

In December of 2007, there was an ice storm so memorable that many say this December is the one year anniversary of the event that wreaked so much havoc on the city of Tulsa. This ice storm resulted in areas all over the city to be layered with thick ice. It also resulted in many residents who had no power for days, or even weeks, depending on their location in the city.

The ice storm left Tulsa citizens feeling helpless and wondering when they would once again have power and life would return to normal. The amount of damage done by the ice storm allowed it to be crowned with the name of the Great Tulsa Ice Storm of 2007, and the title of being one of the worst natural disasters that has ever struck the state of Oklahoma.

Ronnie-Rashaud Brown remembers the devastating effects that the ice storm took on his household at 5615 E. 23rd Street.

"I walked outside one morning to drive to school, and the huge tree in my front yard had fallen and blocked my entire driveway," said the University of Tulsa junior.

Trees such as the one that fell on Brown’s driveway not only kept people from getting to work and school, but also knocked out power all around the city, including Brown’s power.

"It was a long week with a tree blocking my driveway and no heat or power. Thankfully I had just gone shopping and had a lot of food in the house!" Brown said.

Brown recalls the difficulties of keeping up with classes and getting to work on time. After his power went out, it was only a matter of hours until his computer, cell-phone, and other electronics ran out of power and couldn’t be recharged.

Luckily Brown had friends who lived on campus at TU, where most residents had power thanks to backup generators. Brown, as well as many other commuting students, would visit friends on campus when they could to take showers and do laundry.

"I called friends on campus as soon as I could to arrange rides to campus for classes and work," Brown said. "I would always try and bring my phone and computer with me so that I could recharge them while I was there."

Brown slept at his house during the storm, attempting to keep rooms lit up with candles until he was ready to go to sleep, and remembers being bored without the luxuries of television and internet.

"I don’t think I spend too much time watching television or on the internet. But when I didn’t have those things for an extended period of time, I realized that I took for granted how occupied those things kept me when I wanted something to do," Brown said.

Brown is not alone when he expresses his gratitude that this December, Tulsa has not experienced anything near the ice storm that hit the city last year. As the rest of winter progresses, citizens hope that this winter will pass through with nothing more than some cold weather and the necessity of a heavy jacket or two.

No comments: